In 1883, three forest jobbers, Gordon, Booth and Lumsden decided to create a circuit of floating wood between the Kipawa Lake and Lake Temiscamingue. It was then that Gordon Creek was dug to connect four small lakes, creating an additional outlet for Lake Kipawa.
In 1888, Alex Lumsden built a dam on the Gordon Creek to power a small sawmill. The wooden dam was replaced in 1918 by the actual dam to feed the hydroelectric station Kipawa. In 1920, the plant adds water filtration City Temiscaming. In 1926 the dam was sold to the Gatineau Power which modernizes it and operates until 1963, when Hydro-Quebec became the owner in the program of nationalization of power companies in Quebec.