RECIPE ⤵️. Do I need to add anything else? 😜
#homemaderecipe adapted from the Perfect Meatballs with Cherry Tomato sauce recipe from @whatsgabycookin 's #everydaycaliforniafood cookbook.
📝INGREDIENTS (serves 3-4):
- 500g minced meat, half pork, half beef
- 60g breadcrumbs (I make the breadcrumbs at home: I blend stale bread until finely ground)
- 30ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 25g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 20g fresh basil
- 1 or 2 garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 1/4tsp crushed chilli (it's the same as red pepper flakes)
- 30ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 22g pine nuts
- I used 1 quantity of the cherry tomato sauce. You can find the recipe in the previous post.
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- I used some left over Salsa Verde but you could use pesto for instance.
- Fresh basil leaves.
1. In a bowl combine the meat, breadcrumbs, milk and eggs. Set aside.
2. In a blender mix the parsley, basil, salt, pepper, crushed chilli, oil, parmeason and pine nuts. Blend until you get an homogeneous mixture (should take less than 1min).
3. Add the herb mixture to the meat mixture and combine.
4. Preheat the oven to 175ºC.
5. Shape the meatballs (I made quite big ones as Gaby suggested them to be bigger than a golf ball and smaller than a tennis ball).
6. Heat some olive oil in a pan and seal the meatballs on all sides at medium-high heat. Don't worry if they are not cooked through as we will bake them. Place them in a baking dish.
7. Cover the meatballs with the tomatoe sauce and top with the mozzarella slices. Bake for about half an hour (the mozzarella must be melted).
8. Garnish with the Salsa Verde and basil leaves and serve.
✔️ You can serve this with creamy polenta, pasta, rice, mashed potatoes... Or for a lighter version serve them with a nice salad and bread to wipe the plate ;)