'Winter is coming.' And in preparation of the dark and cold days to come ánd in anticipation of the grand finale, I've begun to watch Game of Thrones again. Yup, alle the way back from episode one, season one. What better food to go with this mood than spicy pumpkin soup? No need to peel the pumpkin, when it's organic (which they almost always are) you can eat them skin and all. Just remove the seeds and cut it into cubes.
What's in it?
-one leek, diced and washed (I prefer leek to onion, but that's totally up to you)
- 1 red chili pepper (omit if you don't like spicy food)
- 1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 pumpkin, seeds removed and cut into cubes
- sautee the leek, chili, garlic and pumpkin in some olive oil
- add water or vegetable broth
- cook on low/medium heat for about 15 mins, or until the pumpkin is soft
- blend (I use a handheld blender, so there's no need to pour the hot soup in a blenderlike device, just leave in the pot you've cooked it in) - serve with some parsley, cilantro and/or chili flakes.
With special thanks to @mikenikebakker for the inspiration!