I’ve been asked about how to make book cloth. I’ve tried the messy and annoying traditional way, then a few bookmaker friends suggested @pellonprojects fusible webbing, which is acid-free and safe for both fabrics and paper. I’ve been experimenting with it and these are the steps I’ve been taking:
1. Using a spray bottle, wet your fabric with clean water, then iron it to remove wrinkles and to dry it out.
2. Lay your fabric, pattern-side up, onto the fusible web side of Pellon #805 Wonder-Under, and iron according to the heat setting on the instructions.
3. Cut out your fabric and trim off edges of web sticking out.
4. Carefully peel off the paper backing from the fusible web. Re-iron areas as needed where the web has not stuck to the fabric.
5. Lay your web-backed fabric onto a sheet of thin mulberry paper (preferred) or tissue paper, and iron over your fabric again, checking to make sure that your fabric is now adhered to the paper.
6. Cut your paper-backed fabric out, trim the edges.
7. You have your own custom-made book cloth!
Things to note: I have been ironing my fabrics at higher temps than what they’re supposed to be able to handle. I’ve ironed silk, brocade, cotton, and synthetics. Make sure to test out your fabrics before committing to them! Some of them will and some won’t handle the heat.
Questions or other ideas on how to make book cloth? Leave me a comment!
Fall Afternoon at Echo Lake State Park - North Conway, NH #northconway#echolake#capturingportsmouth Just passing through yesterday afternoon at Echo Lake State Park. Possibly the cleanest, most beautiful lake water that I've ever seen!
Connect with us on Facebook! WE JUST PASSED 5,700 LIKES, THANK YOU!! -
Thank you to all that have served. In appreciation to all veterans we are doing a giveaway in partnership with our friend @lizardblanks We will be giving away a custom lizard blanks knife block casting blank as well as a custom cast wood burl/acrylic hybrid blank of your color and style choice made just for you!
All you gotta do is follow us and @lizardblanks , like this post and tag 2 friends! That’s it! We will announce the winner on Black Friday! Good luck everyone!