Decided to make a project of a spare NI pack I had lying around:
1) Original ladderlock buckles for shoulder strap adjustment, no quick-release or sternum strap and seriously, what's that horizontal webbing for?! 2) I removed the redundant straps from the front of the daysack (which are apparently for attaching a PLCE side pouch, who knew?) and stitched them to the shoulder straps.
3) The free end of the webbing loops through a tri-glide...
4) ...then loops through the female end of a quick-release buckle.
5) The result is a broken clip can be easily replaced (I always carry a couple of spares into the field). The looped webbing above the free end allows a sternum strap to be fitted for stability.
6) A spare bit of 50mm loop allows the attachment of the all-important morale patch!
7) A good spray using sand, brown and olive Krylon paint through a scrim net finishes the pack off and matches MTP/Multicam kit quite well.
Finally got myself a set of Taiga rig. Its really good, but I didn't like the half-bellows compass pocket, which I found to be too big. It also lacked Velcro for a rank patch:
1) Original compass pocket with large, offset retention tab
2) I unpicked the bottom and left-hand edges and folded the bellows part inderneath before ironing it down with hemming web. I then added a length of Multicam loop for attaching a rank patch and a length of 25mm webbing to retain the compass before stitching the edges down flat
3) The end result; a more streamlined pocket that is still easily big enough for the compass, even with a kydex protector!