Well, that's it. After 166 days, our time with Rudy has come to an end.
A very surreal feeling is leaving our little home on wheels that has been our haven, base, our challenge and our learnings. Rudy has taken us to so many incredible places, and we have learnt so much about ourselves, each other, people, politics and nature thanks to travelling around in him. If anything it has made me realize the sweetness of doing nothing - just cuddling up with a tea and a book, or gazing outside at surrounds, or just pottering around doing various chores, speaking to the neighbour's as they wander past. Also, that you don't always need data, a phone, sound, stimulation. Or space, or many things.
As sad as it is to leave our van life behind for now, we are very ready to return home. There is a lot to be said for knowing where you'll rest your head each night, knowing your morning walk route, chatting to the local barista, and spending each Friday with your family for pizza night. It's really, truly and utterly the little things 💕
Am I the only one who thinks mini things are sooo cute? 🙋🏽♀️
Regular paperclip= lame. Baby paperclip= freakin’ adorable.
Needless to say... an itty bitty cast iron pan 🍳in my tiny kitchen makes me want to cry.
Sappy *ahemm* Happy Sunday everyone!!
Living full time in a camper is not easy. Some of my days are consumed entirely just trying to figure out where I will be sleeping/parking that night.
ON THE FLIP SIDE... it also allows me to wake up thinking “I want a palm tree picnic today”, and all I have to do is drive. 🤙🏽🌴
Throwback to some parking lot fun.. Linus loves "piggybacks" so you can only imagine how much he loved having a way he could just hop onto my back with out me suspecting, he got me quite a few times but lucky I find it hilarious. Did I mention hes super weird. Anyone elses dog do super odd things?
This kitchen is way cuter with wine in it 🍇 -
Have you heard of @harvesthosts yet?! (This is not an ad I swear, I’m just stoked!) Your membership lets you park your RV or van at a zillion different wineries, farms, or museums fo’ free!!!! -
I’ve met some of the kindest people using this app and Ike loves it cause he always has other farm dogs to run around with. Plus wine. And views like this. 🤤
Slumber Party!!! I knew that (technically) you could fit more than one person in Huck Phinn... I just didn’t believe it. However, this past week we put that to the test.
My parents and I met up along the coast where one night was spent celebrating Pops birthday. We watched our favorite show, drank beers, cuddled with Ike, and laughed about the lack of walking space with 3 people in Huck Phinn.
Sharing your space with the people you love always makes it feel a bit more like home. 🏡
I think my love for climbing trees started because I was trying to escape my pesky little brother. 🌿
That kid had a motor mouth- always spitting off random facts about history or math. So I’d climb up this tree in our front yard knowing that he couldn’t reach and his voice was a lot quieter from way up high 😂
Thankfully my brother grew out of that phase and I never grew out of mine.
Day 185: For the first time in 6 months, we are headed south 💛 just in time to spend the holidays with family. 🥧💫 The past 6 months have been incredible! We are looking forward to spending some quality time with family, and then hit the road once again 💥🛣
“Oh, I thought you were going to be a creepy old man.” -security guy that knocked on my door in the middle of the night.
I’ve found that in sketchy places Huck Phinn has been perfect because people don’t expect a 26yr old chick to be living in there, but the inside is so cozy and cute. It’s kind of like my creeper camouflage 👌🏽
Well we finally got the roof braces built and positioned in the camper! The outside tin is holding on for dear life trying not to fall apart (as you can see my attempt to keep them together with straps)^^^ Tomorrows job will be to line up the shell square with the floor and start screwing some framing in!👌👍🚌 #rvrestoration#toyotadolphin#chasingdreams#rvlife#builder#restoration
Lots of work being done lately. - got new tires installed all around. It wasn’t fun ruining a tire at 50mph but I guess that’s what I get for running dry rotted tires. Didn’t cost much. They are small tires. Also tried out air suspension. Leaks a bit over the course of a few days but it makes the ride much smoother. .
- finished taking down the water damaged walls and replacing a few studs. The glue the factory used takes a lot of time to peel away from that ate up most of our time. .
- removed the long cabinet from over the bench. We don’t think we will reinstall it. We may have plans for floating shelf of just baskets. More to follow. .
- one of us (Sabra) wouldn’t shut up about the carpet so we compromised (nope) and tore it all up. Found some cheap laminate slats at homedepot that look like wood flooring for only $36 a box. We will likely weather treat the floor first before laying that down. .
- finally figured out how to test our appliances. The fridge and the water heater both work off propane and electric!! Huge win for us. Super excited to have more options while we travel. .
- We threw out all the cushions. Thinking about narrowing the benches a bit to make more floor space and then re doing the cushions. Something that will match whatever curtains we decide to put up. .
- our new vents and fans come in today along with our reverse camera :) .
- now we just have to figure out how to install that Ejecto-seato. .